Roasting piñon pine nuts in the oven is a simple process. Here's how you can do it:
- Fresh piñon pine nuts
- Salt (optional)
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (180°C).
- Spread the piñon pine nuts in a single layer on a baking sheet.
- Place the baking sheet in the preheated oven and roast the piñon pine nuts for 10-15 minutes, stirring them every 5 minutes. Keep an eye on them to ensure they don't burn.
- After the allotted time, remove the baking sheet from the oven and let the piñon pine nuts cool for a few minutes.
- Once the nuts have cooled, use your hands or a nutcracker to crack open the shells and remove the roasted nuts inside.
- If desired, sprinkle some salt over the roasted nuts and mix well.
Roasted piñon pine nuts can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for several weeks. They can be enjoyed as a snack, added to salads or other dishes, or used in baking. Note that it's important to only use piñon pine nuts from a trusted source, as there are some species of pine nuts that can cause digestive issues if consumed.