Roasting pine nuts in the shell can be a bit more challenging than roasting shelled pine nuts, but it's definitely doable. Here's how to roast pine nuts in the shell:
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Spread the pine nuts in their shells in a single layer on a baking sheet.
- Roast the pine nuts in the preheated oven for 15-20 minutes, or until the shells turn a light golden brown color.
- Remove the baking sheet from the oven and let the pine nuts cool for a few minutes.
- Once the pine nuts are cool enough to handle, use your fingers or a nutcracker to crack open the shells.
- Remove the roasted pine nuts from the shells and discard the shells.
- If you want to add salt to the pine nuts, sprinkle a bit of salt over them while they're still warm and toss to coat evenly.
- Allow the roasted pine nuts to cool completely before using them in your recipe or storing them in an airtight container at room temperature for up to a week.