Roasting pine nuts is an essential step when making pesto to bring out their nutty flavor. To roast pine nuts for pesto, follow these steps:
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Spread the pine nuts in a single layer on a baking sheet.
- Roast the pine nuts in the preheated oven for 5-7 minutes, or until they are lightly golden brown in color. Be careful not to overcook them, as they can burn easily.
- Once the pine nuts are roasted, remove them from the oven and let them cool for a few minutes.
- Add the cooled roasted pine nuts to your food processor or blender, along with the other ingredients for your pesto, such as basil, garlic, parmesan cheese, and olive oil.
- Process the ingredients until they are smooth and well combined, and the pesto is at your desired consistency.
- Taste the pesto and adjust the seasoning if necessary with salt and pepper.
- Use the pine nut pesto immediately, or store it in an airtight container in the fridge for up to a week.